Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 77 - Bar Hayama

Bar Hayama
1803 Sawtelle Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
310-235-2000

This restaurant is a sushi bar and can easily be overlooked if you are not specifically looking for it as it blends in with the surrounding homes on Sawtelle in Los Angeles. Upon entering the restaurant - you will immediately see an outdoor seating with a bonfire at its center. There are a number of seatings outside as well as inside. The place is quaint, charming and, in my opinion, could come off as a bit pretentious.

On such a warm evening as today - we had a reserved table outside (thank goodness too!) to celebrate a belated birthday. The day was HOT, HOT, HOT!!! And yes, I am a wimp when it comes to heat so anything more than 82 degrees is unbearable for me.

Upon being seated - a friendly and rather cute waiter arrived at our table to take our drink orders. While waiting for the rest of our party to arrive - we soaked in the surroundings of the restaurant. We were rather early as it was about 6 p.m. and hardly anyone was at the restaurant. I recommend coming around 7:30 p.m. if you are looking for a livelier crowd.

The cute waiter came back to take our order after the rest of our party arrived. Quite courteous and friendly, he was able to make several recommendations and a few of his favorites. What I found a bit interesting is that the waiter had a bit of a giggle at the end of his conversation! I am not sure if that is a cute thing or not but I guess I can overlook the giggle for today.

We started off with garlic edamame - sauteed edamame with garlic soy sauce. I rather liked this dish with the hint of garlic and soy sauce to add flavor to the, sometimes, rather flavorless edamame.
I ordered the deep fried calamari salad - (diced tomatoes, possibly blanched or steamed asparagus, fried calamari tossed in a hayama dressing). Hayama dressing is slightly tangy and sweet. Presented beautifully in its plate, the calamari is perfect if eaten immediately. If you wait too long - the batter will soak up the hayama dressing creating a very soggy calamari that leaves little to desire on the tastebuds.
This plate was from their specials of the day and I do not remember the name. It is made up of pork chops and figs. A tasty dish - unfortunately the soggy calamari combined with the beginnings of a migraine, left me with a handicap to my tastebuds and all were slightly uneventful by the end of the night.
The husband ordered the lobster dymamite - shitake, french mushrooms, oyster mushrooms with mayonnaise sauce topped with lobster and scattered with crispy onions. I did managed to try a piece but to be honest - it was a bit uneventful for me.
The husband also ordered this dish. Unfortunately - I have no idea what it was called and what was in it. I did get to try it and again - it was a bit uneventful.
A friend ordered the poke and she thought it was a bit salty. I did not try so I cannot comment.

She also ordered this plate, which I think is the rainbow roll plate.
There were several other dishes that were ordered throughout the course of the night at our table. Unfortunately I did not capture those pictures.

The restaurant is a great place to try out different types of Asian fusion sushi and appetizer plates. Also great for a date and special get togethers. Price-wise - it was definitely on the pricey side. Prices range at about $ 8 to $ 15 a plate for appetizers with each person ordering about two plates. Everything was beautifully presented but how can you go wrong with food presented on white plates? It just screams, "Try Me." Waiter was definitely attentive, friendly and accomodating. Too bad I don't remember his name.

However, if you are looking for something to fill you up, this may not be the restaurant for you. Try the ramen restaurant a few blocks down. ;P

No comments: