Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 63 - Ego Busted or Not

We entered the store and approached an Asian man behind the counter who was helping an older gentleman. Most of the customers were males looking for specific items for their hobby. The Asian man curiously looked over at us and then proceeded to ask us if we had a question. I asked him if they carried the 50D. He raised his eyebrows and asked me the type of photo I was planning to take. I was taken a back by the response but I explained to him that I was interested in taking portraits and occasional landscape or action. The Asian fellow asked me if I have seen the T1i while also mentioning that the older gentleman next to me has the 50D (which was placed on the counter) and that he had to special order it. I wanted to reach out to the 50D. It was within my grasp but it was not the store's camera. I did not want to impose on the older gentleman.

The Asian fellow went on to tell me about the T1i. This is where I became timid and felt I should have done my homework before walking into such a store where too much testosterone could do harm to a female's ego. He takes out the T1i to show me. I immediately recognize that it is the younger and more technically savvy brother of the XTI. I did not mention to the gentleman that my XTI was tugged in my bag. I did not feel like I needed to but at the same time...I also felt that he thought I was either 1) One of those people who wanted to buy an expensive camera and did not know how to use it or 2) I was a small woman and the smaller Canon would fit me better. He continues to go on about why the 50D if I don't have the good lens to go with it. I mention to him that I have the 24-70 and the 50 1.4. At the mention of the 24-70, I see that he is slightly impressed and realizes that I must know a little bit about cameras but he is still not convinced. He continues to tell me the good things about the T1i while in my mind...all I wanted to do was feel the 50D and if it was compatible with me. Too bad.

Anyhoo...I thanked the gentleman who managed to stomp on my ego as an amateur photographer and quietly exited the store with the husband by my side. Luckily my ego is not easily crushed or else I wouldn't be where I am today. We went back to his parents where I managed to snap a few shots of their dog, Boba.
Don't let her size fool you. She's lovable and sweet as can be! I love how the sun was setting in this picture but as usual...pets are antsy and can never stay still for you. Oh well.

No comments: