Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 54 - Summer's Fruit

What do you think of when someone asks you what is a summer fruit? The immediate thought is the watermelon with its thirst-quenching filling perfect for a hot summer day.

But......for a summer fruit - the yellow nectarine has a special place in my heart right next to the watermelon. With the crunchy sound echoing in my ears and the tangy juices tingling and shocking my tastebuds, nothing beats taking a bite of this chilled fruit on a warm summer evening. The yellow nectarine has a brother - the yellow fuzzy peach but I'll choose the nectarine over the peach anyday with its uncomplicated skin ready to be devoured by the human mouth. Oh yes...the yellow nectarine also has a sister and another brother - the white nectarine and the white peach. I have never liked the latter siblings even though they are sweeter than this one. The yellow nectarine remains my favorite.

No comments: