Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 46 - Snickers

Date of Birth: October 1, 1999
Personality: Loves balls and squeaky toys. Loves chewing on bark. Stubborn. Loves to bark.

Snickers is the original dog! It was difficult to take a picture of him as each time I pointed my camera at him, he would turn the other way. I was lucky to even get a profile shot of this guy!

Anyhoo - I was looking for a puppy in 1999. I'd been reviewing the newspaper and the Pennysaver and one day called one of those listings. The lady on the phone told me there was only one puppy left and if I was seriously considering, I should come out to take a look at the puppy.

So on that faithful day in December 1999, ECA, PJ and I treaded somewhere east to the boonies where I could smell the manure at 6ish in the evening. It was dark. We arrived at the house where the lady was going to meet us. I don't remember anything about the house.

She brought out the mommy and in waddled the little puppy. He was sooo cute!!!!! He stayed close to his mom. He wasn't really shy but he was nervous. He could smell something was in the air. His siblings were gone. He was the last. I was nervous. She brought him over to me and I petted him. He was friendly but he was still nervous. He continued to glance around for his mommy. He slipped out of my hands and waddled back to his mom.

PJ squealed, "HE'S SOOO CUTE! GET HIM!" That was one of the things that I remembered from that night.

I talked to the owner and turned over my money. She gave me his paperwork (my dog is certified) and some dog food. She left the room and came back with a small cardboard box. He was playing with his mom, licking her and maybe saying his silent farewell. The nice lady picked up the little guy and placed him in the box. In the next hour, we drove home. The little guy was in the back and was preoccupied with ECA and PJ. It wasn't until that night that he realized he was alone. His mom was not around. He could not snuggle up to her like he did only hours ago. He started to whimper in his box. He slept with me that night and for the next few days.

Eventually he forgot about his mom and adjusted to his new life.

No comments: