Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 28 - Silently Praying

The day started out warm. As I drove to my morning appointment, I peeked at my car's gasoline gauge. The meter read slightly above the line before the light would go on. I figured I had about another 60 to 80 miles left. Just enough to make it to the place and back. Life is good.

Flash forward, I am done with my appointment and as I took my first step to the outside world, I could feel the instant sun blazing on my head. By now - the gas light is reminding me to go fill up. I contemplate about this for a moment. It's so dang hot and I really do not want to step out of my car in this city. I wanted to wait until I am closer to home, where the temperature is definitely 10 degrees cooler, to fill up. I take another look at my gas gauge and think to myself, I'll make it home. Not wanting to waste the last drops of gasoline, I turned off the A/C. I proceed and hell...I AM STUCK IN TRAFFIC before I even make it to the on ramp! Anyway...I continue onwards....luckily the traffic lightens up until.....what should have been the last ten minutes before I arrived at the victory line (gas station). DAMN!!!! I stare at my gas reading...it reads 0.1 gallon with 8 miles left and the traffic is moving at a snail's pace! I panick. There is no way in hell I am pushing my car! I quickly merged right to make my exit.

There is another 7 or 8 miles to get home. I am sweating and silently praying. Praying for the finish line. I don't want to walk there or call the husband. I can just see him rolling his eyes and chastising me for my laziness in not filling up before I left. One mile more to go and I continue glancing down at my gas reading every few seconds to make sure it doesn't reach zero. Ah...I see the gas station....AND....yes, I am there! My prayer has been answered! I stepped out of my car and felt the summer breeze brushing my face. This was the breeze that I waited for and why I did not want to fill up in that blazing city that is 30 miles from my home....

Apparently there is some fluctuation with the gas reading. By the time I arrived at the gas station, below was the current reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats funny, DH does this all the time...one time we ended up running out of gas...go figures. i always go get gas right when it turns the light...!