Thursday, June 11, 2009

Carrot Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese Frosting Attempt #1

I attempted to make carrot cupcakes this past Tuesday and here I am sitting at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday morning attempting to blog about my baking experience. Why so late? Partly because I am anxious to blog about it and partly because I am a night owl. There's a saying that goes something like this, "The early bird catches the worm," but I think the night owl catches the mouse! Now if you were an animal, what would be more appealing? A skinny and slimy worm with no meat or a juicy succulent mouse? Hmm...ok...maybe both do not sound all that appealing but you get my drift. ;-)

Back to baking. I am not all that new to baking. Actually I've baked before. At one point in my life I thought I could be the next Betty Crocker but over the years and some attempts of baking has kind of suck the fun out of baking. I usually like to learn from other people's mistakes because, frankly, I cannot make all the mistakes myself, but baking REALLY requires me to make my own mistakes! :-( It's trial and error! In the past - I would automatically become discouraged after one failed attempt at a recipe. Needless to say...I've failed so many times on baking that I've taken a LONG sabbathical from baking AND cooking. I'd try a recipe once, didn't like the outcome and never attempted to try the recipe again.

Also, in previous years, a cookbook would be the norm for trying a new recipe. However, for the last three or four years, the baking and cooking communities have expanded like rapid fire! The expansion is a result of such networks like the Food Network (where I think has glamourized food) and the blogging world! Food is EVERYWHERE! (I partly hold the blogging community responsible for me not fitting in my clothes!)

Anyhoo...back to my carrot cupcake experience. The carrot cake recipe can be found here. Below are my measurements. Yes, I am one of those anal people who measure all her ingredients out. I think it's due to fear that I will screw up on the recipe and yet I still manage to screw up...sometimes.
Then, I took "HER" out. I haven't used her in ages. Poor thing...she's been sitting in the cabinet collecting dust. (Yes, I washed and cleaned her before I started my baking process.) She was given to me by the husband while we were dating. It was one of those birthday or Christmas gifts. She's been with me for about four or five years now. I know she misses me and feels neglected as I've only taken her out for a "mix" a few times. She's trusty, does her job but oh man, she weighs a ton! (Just don't tell her that! ;P)
As evidence that she did do her job, please see below. My carrot cake batter. Looks yummy enough.
This is after 20 minutes of baking. The cupcakes were nicely golden. Still looks yummy enough.

After about 5 minutes of cooling in the cupcake pans, I took them out and placed them on the cooling rack. Still looks yummy enough.
While the cupcakes were cooling, I started making the cream cheese frosting. The recipe can be found on Karens Cookies Cakes and More's website or simply here. She mentioned the recipe was very sweet so I cut the sugar down to 1.5 cups. Still sweet and I really couldn't taste the cream cheese. I think the next time I try this frosting recipe, I will use 1.25 cups. (Wondering to myself if that is still going to be too sweet.)
The finale! Doesn't look so bad huh? Looks yummy enough. The verdict - well, the cake was moist, zesty and I couldn't taste the carrot. It's not bad, really it's not. It's just not carrot cake. It is more like an orange flavored cupcake. So attempt one = FAILED. However, I will not get discouraged this time. I will try another recipe tomorrow night. This time - I will make sure it's a carrot cake recipe. I should have realized something was strange when the recipe only asked for 1 cup of grated carrots but asked for orange juice and orange zest.
Oh by the way, this is another reason why I try not to bake or cook.
Last but not least...I must give props to the baker and cooker bloggers out there. I don't know how they manage to do both but baking and taking pictures simultaneously is exhausting!

Oh I forgot to share this photo below. I keep my confectioner's sugar AKA powdered sugar in this little cutie. :-)

No comments: