Tuesday, September 15, 2009

MSC - Zucchini-Spice Cupcakes

I was plesantly surprised about a week ago when I received an email from Betty with Eat My Cupcake that I was admitted into the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club! Yah! Let the baking begin!

My first baking assignment in the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club was zucchini-spice cupcakes (picked out by Tracey from Tracey's Culinary Adventures). As this was my first baking assignment, I had this vision that I would create this awesome cupcake to display and take pictures. Unfortunately - I ran out of time. I never realized how many ingredients are in these recipes!

The recipe asked for freshly grated nutmeg! Where do you find fresh nutmeg and how do you grade nutmeg? I went to Whole Foods and the grocery gal showed me a bottle with whole dried nutmeg. I bought the bottle and ended up grounding the nutmeg. I also cut down the sugar to about 1 and 3/4 cups and was perfect with the cream cheese frosting. If I wasn't using any frosting - I think I would have kept the sugar to 2 cups.

Overall....I really enjoyed this recipe and would use it again! :)
And I promise to do a better job of photographing my cupcakes from now on. :P

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look great. I didn't use freshly ground nutmeg, I confess. I'm sure it tastes better when it's fresh though. Nice job.

k.a.r.e.n said...

YOU GOT IN!!! Welcome to the club and look forward to all your monthly creations!

Your cupcakes look fabulous!

I dont have fresh nutmeg... i just use the ground up one - u can find them in small containers in the spice aisle.

marae said...

i never use fresh nutmeg, i am too lazy! and i tend to use pumpkin pie spice whenever any recipe calls for nutmeg and cinnamon...i love it! yours look fab!

Hindy said...

Your photo is lovely. Well done! Glad you enjoyed the cupcakes.

Jen said...

Nice work! Kudos for searching out the fresh nutmeg... I just used a jar of ground nutmeg!

Elizabeth D. said...

I'm with you on the photography, I know I need to do better too! Did you think the fresh nutmeg made a difference? I've always used the ground stuff you find from McCormick and such...

Julie said...

It's my first month baking with the MS Cupcake group as well. Your cupcakes look wonderful!!!

Just Anything said...

Elizabeth - honestly I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference if it was fresh or not.

Judy said...

i was super excited about being admitted too! =)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for baking with me this week Natalie! So glad you're part of the group :) Your cupcakes look awesome.

I'm a big fan of fresh nutmeg (mostly because it smells so wonderful) but it's absolutely not necessary. You can use the little spice bottles from the grocery store. If you want to get fresh, it's available in some grocery stores or you could get it online I'm sure. I grate it with my Microplane.

Soy*Baby said...

Your cupcakes look wonderful. I usually use ground nutmeg from the jar. I bet the fresh nutmeg is tastier though.

TeaLady said...

I think the pic of the cc's sitting on the rack is great.

I started using fresh nutmeg when a friend gave me a grater and a jar of whole ones. Never went back to ready ground.

The Sisters said...

They look so yummy!

betty geek said...

Fresh nutmeg? You are too awesome!

Your cupcakes look ultra-fab.

Thanks for baking along with us this month!

Metea said...

I want to join the club!!!