Thursday, October 1, 2009

Brunch with My Family

I am taking a break from Project 365 this week since I have not been consistent with daily postings. Do not worry, I will resume soon.

Anyway - we celebrated my dad's birthday over the weekend by attending Saturday brunch in San Juan Capistrano. I love, love, love the image below with the husband's silhouette in the background.
Ramos House is located on Los Rios Street, which is on the other side of the railroad tracks. It is such a charming little place that is only open for breakfast and lunch. Dining is located in the patio area, overlooking Los Rios Street.
The weekend brunch included a beverage, a starter and the main course. Since there were six of us, we all chose something different. My freshly squeezed orange juice. I love, love that they use mason jars for the drinks! This restaurant was my inspiration when I bought mason jars a few years ago!
Pomegranate and orange mimosas. A little bitter and bubbly!
The husband ordered this starter. I am not sure what the name of this plate was but it was our least favorite out of all our starters.
PJ ordered the fresh baked huckleberry coffee cake. This was yummy! The cake was light, fluffy and had just the right amount of sweetness.
ECA ordered cinnamon apple beignets - always a favorite at this restaurant and rightly so. Everybody loved this starter.
I ordered this starter for my mom. Small plate of smoked salmon lox with herb sauce and toast points. A thin layer of smoked salmon covered the plate. You would lift the smoked salmon and place the layer on your toast points. Very tasty! The salmon was not too salty and tasted quite fresh.
I ordered the sweet corn hush puppies with sweet pepper jam. My favorite starter at this restaurant! Still a favorite! Split the hush puppy in half and spread the pepper jam over the hush puppy to get that sweet and sour taste that tingles your tastebuds. Absolutely yummy!
I ordered this soup for my dad. Not sure what it was but they added popcorn on top. I did not try this starter so I cannot comment.
I ordered the wild mushroom, roasted garlic and sundried tomato scramble for my dad.
PJ ordered the smoked bacon scramble with rocket and caramelized onions.
The husband ordered mac n' cheese with smoked veggies and lemon gremolada.
ECA ordered the crab hash with bacon scrambled eggs and sour cream remoulade.
I ordered the duck hash with wild mushroom eggs and herb sauce for my mom.
My order - BBQ chicken salad with hush puppy croutons. This restaurant used to have another plate that was similar to this one called the country chicken salad with cranberries and pumpkin seed buttermilk dressing. That was my favorite dish at this restaurant. The new dish is good but not the same. :(
Brunch was a flat price of $ 35 per person. After brunch, we roamed Los Rios Street and I took a few pictures of my parents, ECA and PJ. Then my parents, ECA and PJ went home while the husband and I headed down to San Diego for a weekend getaway!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the food looks so good! i want to go check it out next time!