Saturday, April 18, 2009

What Is All The Hype With Savoy Kitchen?

I. Just. Don't. Get. It. It's just steamed chicken and rice cooked in broth.

The day started out well. I woke up early in the morning and the husband and I drove to Alhambra to pick up some apothecary jars I bought over the internet. I was ecstatic to find a bargain. The jars were absolutely perfect. Although, at the moment, I have not figured out a use for them. Minor details.

Then we headed over to Savoy Kitchen to meet with ECA, his girlfriend and my parents. We were supposed to meet at this restaurant at 11 a.m., which was perfect because my jar pick-up was at 10:30 a.m. Anyway, the restaurant was ECA's pick. He seems to love the place.

Savoy Kitchen is located on the corner Valley and (I think) Monterey in Alhambra. The parking is a bitch because there is hardly any but it is expected when you are in the San Gabriel Valley area. The husband and I promptly arrived at the restaurant at 11 a.m. and I called my parents to see if they were on their way. My mom told me they were almost to the restaurant and told us to get a table. As I was on the phone with my mom, the husband was talking to the waitress. When I got off the phone, the husband told me the waitress told us that it would be better for us to sit outside because of the number of people in our party. I was fine with that until I saw the patio seating. Half of us were going to be in the sun and today was warm. So I told the husband that we should sit inside. We went inside and that was where things headed downhill.

The minute I mentioned to the waitress we were dining inside, I could tell she was annoyed and THAT was enough to ruin my experience at this restaurant. I wanted to give this restaurant a chance...really I did. I had heard about it but never treaded out this way because I did not see what was the big deal with steamed chicken. Then I came out here and this is what I get. Suck-ass parking, rude customer service and plain chicken and rice. Oh and it's not cheap either. At $ 7 a plate - it is the normal going rate so although it's not expensive, I wouldn't really consider it a cheap eat.

Yes I am aware this restaurant is popular. Why? I have no idea. Would I go back? If there is no line (luckily there was no line when we got there) and we happen to be in the area, someone else picking up the tab (by the way - they automatically add 15% gratituity to the bill for suck-ass service - can you believe that??) and I was starving, then maybe. Otherwise, it is not worth the trip.

Sorry no pics.

No comments: